Thursday, July 26, 2007

Buddha On a Bike? Sportster Consciousness?


I fired up the Sportster to go to work today and I thought about what I was reading earlier in the waiting room at the doctor's office. In a magazine was an article about Thich Nhat Hanh, a Buddhist Monk and author of the best selling book "Living Buddha, Living Christ." The article described what he called walking meditation.

Walking meditation is a way to be fully aware and conscious of the here and now. He said that since we spend so much of our day walking that it would be good to incorporate walking with meditation.

We motorcycle riders are already familiar with the concept. When we ride we are completely aware and in the moment. That must be part of why we ride. I know it is for me. When I'm riding all worries are forgotten. I am in the here and now. Aware of only what my senses bring me. I feel completely alive.

And so the Sportster once again delivered my daily dose of peace, on the way to work and on the way home. I'll call it a rolling meditation or maybe Moto Meditation. I drink too much coffee to meditate any other way!

Thich Nhat Hanh quotes


No comments: