Saturday, August 11, 2007

My New Motorcycle Jacket


For the first time in my life I left my trusty old black leather motorcycle jacket in the closet and rode off wearing something else. A Tourmaster Transition textile motorcycle jacket.

I have a new job and am doing most of my commuting at night now. So I figured it would be a good idea to get a jacket that would improve my visibility. After all my Harley Sportster is black, my leather jacket is black and my helmet is black. In other words I haven't exactly been the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's poster boy. Some improvement in my motorcycle safety apparel was definitely in order.

The criteria for the new jacket was it had to have good night-time visibility and it had to be durable. I'm a practical guy and I don't want a closet full of jackets, one for each season and type of weather. This jacket had to do it all and for less than $200 bucks.

I did some research and found that the Tourmaster Transition Jacket fit the bill. It's a three quarter length jacket with removable armor and is made of 600 Denier Carbolex and 600 Denier Ballistic Polyester. The shell incorporates reflective Phoslite material panels for strength and visibility. It has a waterproof and breathable Rainguard barrier. The zippers are waterproof as well and there is a zip-out quilted liner for cold weather. For warm weather there are plenty of air vents.

I went to the local Honda dealership and tried one on. I fell in love with it immediately, it was everything advertised to be and more. I was very impressed with the quality and looks of the jacket. Even though it's made in China (try to find anything that isn't these days) it's very well made. For a MSRP of 149.99 I smelled a bargain.

I do feel a little guilty when I think about my old leather jacket collecting dust in the closet. Maybe I'll take it out for a daytime ride once in a while for old times sake. I cannot completely abandon my old friend. We've had too many good rides together.

You can find the Tourmaster Transition Jacket at Bike Bandit for $149.99
Motorcycle Apparel & Gear at BikeBandit.com!

No comments: