Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sportster Motorcycle Mileage Update

In one of my previous post on how to calculate miles per gallon I figured the mileage on my Harley-Davidson Sportster XL1200C at a disappointing 35mpg.

"Fuzzy Math" or "weak calculator batteries" my wife says.

I don't think so. Using the techniques described in another post of mine on how to save gas, my next tank delivered a satisfying 42.46 mpg.

The tank was used for the same exact commute to and from work. I didn't have to ride like a 93 year old grandma either.

Mainly I accelerated slower from stops and avoided as many of them as possible by slowing down when a red light loomed ahead. It's all in the timing!

7.46 more miles per gallon isn't anything to sneeze at. That's a net savings of about 193.96 gallons per year on my commute alone.

At the current cost for a gallon of regular which is $4.17, that works out to an annual commute savings of $808.81!

And as we know the cost per gallon is only going to go up, so the actual savings will be even more.

Oh, and thanks to Steve's suggestion over at Motorcycle Philosophy, I tried switching over from using Premium to regular with no ill effects. Another ton 0' savings there!

Subscribe to Motorcycle and Scooter Talk at Kano's Coffee House by Email

No comments: